Wednesday 24 January 2007

Please don't let the weirdest animals in the world die


I cry hot salty tears over the imminent loss of species such as the giant panda and gorillas, really I do. But at heart, I'm a fan of more obscure animals. The stranger-looking inhabitants of our planet don't get as much press as the cuddly bears and bunnies of this world. But they're so much more FUN.

Which is why I am standing on my chair to applaud the work of The EDGE organisation. They not only aim to protect the cute beasts, but the more unlikely-looking rare critters. Of their list of 100 disappearing species, two thirds aren't gaining any attention. Even if they have long proboscii like the Long-beaked echidna (Zaglossus bruijni) above! Shame, shame, shame.

Pay their site a visit for more fantastical beasts you can take to your bosom.

No comments: